Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Wild Girls by Pat Murphy


In which twelve year old Joan is doubting she will like living in California, when she meets the Queen of the Foxes and her whole life changes. Fox (her real name is Sarah) and Joan become fast friends and soon are spending all their afternoons together climbing trees and becoming the wild girls. When school starts, they enter a contest to write a short story and they win. They meet a writer who likes their story and asks them to join her writing class for the summer and they agree. Joan and Sarah meet many new interesting people and learn to live more freely and ask wonderful questions. The class helps Joan and Sarah deal with the hard problems they are having with their parents and brings them closer together.


It's written in first-person from Joan's view. This story was one of the best books that I have ever read. It was so realistic that I felt very much for the characters and as I got deeper into the story I felt that it was really real and I want to jump in and join them. I LOVED Sarah and Joan's relationship. They were the best-true-friends that everyone always wishes to have. Verla Volante is fabulous! I would very much love to join her class. I loved all the questions she asks and how everyone answers them, it feels like you are almost in it yourself. It was very sad to read about Sarah and Joan's parental problems, but it was interesting to read about what it might be like to have a family that was so torn. It made me feel very blessed to have my wonderful close family and it makes me feel awful for the families in real life that have these problems. I will be suggesting this book to all my friends.
Recommended for people who like: foxes, lipstick war paint, and amazing friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment